Dr. Stanko is an Assistant Professor of Management at the Orfalea College of Business. Prior to joining Cal Poly, Taryn was an assistant professor of Management at the University of Oregon’s Lundquist College of Business. She received her Ph.D. from the University of California, Irvine’s Paul Merage School of Business and an M.B.A. from New York University’s Stern School of Business.
Taryn’s research interests focus on virtual work, organizational control, and the management of work/non-work identities as well as the role that communication technology use plays in each of these areas. Her work has been published in outlets such as the Academy of Management Journal and Organization Science. One of Taryn’s recent publications, with co-author Christine Beckman, focuses on the use of communication technology for work/non-work interactions in the Navy and explores the implications that increasingly permeable organizational boundaries have for shaping individual attention. Taryn also has ongoing research exploring the nature of work routines and work identity in three-dimensional work environments. Taryn’s research has been supported by the National Science Foundation, the University of California, Irvine’s Center for Organizational Research and Center for Research on Information Technology in Organizations, and the American Association of University Women.
Prior to entering academia, Taryn spent more than five years in industry working as a project and quality manager at Berland Technologies, a start-up software company, and Paramount Pictures in Southern California.
• Ph.D., Management, University of California, Irvine.
• M.B.A., Marketing and Management, Stern School of Business, New York University
• B.A., Sociology w/ a Specialization in Computing, University of California, Los Angeles
• Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo – Assistant Professor of Management
• University of Oregon – Assistant Professor of Management
• Paramount Pictures – Project Manager, Quality Manager
• Berland Technologies – Customized Business Solution Software, Quality Manager