MS Business Analytics FAQs
- Do I need a specific undergraduate degree to apply?
We do not require a specific undergraduate degree. Successful candidates will have a strong technical aptitude with training in statistics, calculus, and computing. Strong communication skills and motivation are also highly valued
- Is the MS in Business Analytics a STEM designated program?
Yes, the MS in Business Analytics is recognized as a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) designated program by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. That means F-1 students in our program who meet the requirements can apply for a 24-month extension of their post-completion OPT (for a total of 36 months).
- Are any courses offered online?
No. This is a full-time on-campus program.
- Is there any financial assistance available?
Please check Cal Poly’s financial aid web site for your options in this regard. Generally, only financial aid in the form of loans is available for this program to those students who qualify. However, private scholarships or grants, veteran’s benefits, or other funding sources are accepted. Please contact Financial Aid at (805) 756-2927 for details.
- Can I apply to start this program in the spring or winter quarters?
No, it is a one-year cohort program that starts with a fall intersession (August– September) followed by the fall, winter, and spring quarters.
- Will I have access to the Recreation Center and Health Center during Intersession?
No. You will be charged mandatory fees for access to the Rec Center and the Health Center during Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters only. For Intersession, you may purchase a pass directly from the Rec Center to gain access to the Rec Center; you will not be able to access the Health Center during Fall Intersession.
- What is the difference between Cal Poly’s Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) and the Master of Science in Quantitative Economics (MSQE) programs? We have two excellent programs that can match your unique needs as a student. Please click HERE to see a chart explaining the difference between these two programs.
- What is an M.S. Business Analytics?
Business analytics is the application of data science to the domain of business. The Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) is the primary data analytics masters degree at Cal Poly. While other degree programs may focus on a subset of these circles (e.g., just computer science, quantitative economics or statistics), the MSBA combines them for a truly interdisciplinary business analytics education that is valuable in the marketplace.